The SkillfulMeans 12 Week Program
September 19, 2022 @ 6:00 pm - December 12, 2022 @ 7:00 pm UTC+4
Feel like you have a solid practice and are a source of stable insight for family, friends and work.
The SkillfulMeans Program is a systematic training for integrating mindfulness and meditation into your life in a very personal and meaningful way. The structure of our training program is a clear and straightforward process that you can utilize not just for yourself but also for working with meditation, yoga or therapy clients as well.
Meet Your Guide:
William Jackson, PsyD has spent the last 20 years studying and teaching mindfulness-based meditation. His teaching style incorporates core methods from Vietnamese Zen, Burmese Theravada and contemporary evidence-based mindfulness practices. William began practicing Pa Auk Theravada tradition while on intensive forest retreats with 7,000+ hours of total time in retreat during his six years as a fully ordained Buddhist monk.
Dr. Jackson is also a trained clinical health psychologist, founder of Skillful Means and has researched and created mindfulness-based interventions with National Institute of Health, The Benson Henry Institute of Mind-Body Medicine at MGH, Tufts University, The Center of Mindfulness and Compassion and Harvard Medical School. William is currently the founder and CEO of SkillfulMeans.
Format of the Program:
The SkillfuMeans Program is a 12 week, 20+ Hour hybrid live and pre-recorded course. You will have access to hours of videos, exercises, a community forum of resources, and live group meetings.
Each week will cover a different topic, with short videos, writing exercises and meditation practices adding up to about 1 hour of work each week, plus daily meditations. We will explore weekly, real-life assignments, reflection questions and practice on our own and with accountability partners during the week.
Each week we will discuss themes of the week and explore questions to deepen our practice, teaching skills and in the live group call.
Included in the program:
Weekly videos covering topics such as the physiology and psychology of meditation, Zen stories and applying meditation to your daily life.
Weekly Live Calls
Get answers to burning questions about your practice and share success and struggles with fellow meditators on weekly calls.
These are personal exercises to help you recognize insights and plan ways to bring this practice into your real life.
Start creating your supportive community. Get paired with a partner to meet on a weekly basis to practice applying mindfulness skills and get personal feedback.
Daily Meditation Recording Prompts
Guided meditation recordings that build in a systematic program to get you steady clear results.
Continue the conversation from our live meetings, access free challenges and resources from world-class meditation teachers and share your personal meditation expereince and questions on our integrated platform.
Part 1. Foundations of Mindfulness
Week 1 – Orientation: The State of Things/Personal Definition of Well-being
– Structure of the course and platform
– The Four Noble Truths
– What does the science say about how much to sit and for how long?
– Your personal Anatomy of Wellbeing
Week 2 – Mind and Body are One:
– The Integrated Nervous System
– The wisdom vs science perspective of reality
– Dealing with distractions
– Applying meditation to personal priorities
Week 3 – Evolutionary Psychology as Context for Practice
– Where we came from and where we are going
– The expereince of the default mode network vs a mindful brain
– Anatomy of well-being our innate ability
Week 4 – Nerds: Ancient Technique & Research Models
– Tradition and Religious Roots of Practice
– The 8 Fold Noble Path
– The 10 Perfections
Week 5 – Mindfulness in Daily Life
– Who are you creating?
– Stages of Integrating Mindfulness in your daily life
Part 2. Learning to love
Week 6 – Love
– Metta and the network effect of positive emotion
– Stages of the practice of Loving Kindness
Week 7 – Loving
– Unconditional love
– The Four Brahma Viharas (Divine Abodes)
– Creating Loving Conversation
Week 8 – Personalizing Loving Kindness
– Like the a mother and her only child
– Loving Kindness in action: Motivational Interviewing & Beginning Anew
– Commincating with loved ones
Part 3. Looking Deeply, Seeing Clearly
Week 9 – Looking Deeply and Seeing Clearly: Body
– Introduction to Vipassana
– Kayanupassana: Mindfulness of The Body and Ultimate Materiality
– Anatomy of Well-being: Body
Week 10 – Looking Deeply and Seeing Clearly: Feeling
– Vedanupassana: Mindfulness of Feeling & responding vs reacting
– Compactedness of Feeling
– Anatomy of Well-being: Feeling
Week 11 – Looking Deeply and Seeing Clearly: Mind
– Cittanupassana – Mindfulness of The Mind
– Recognizing States of Mind
– Reflections of the mind in environment and relationships
Week 12 – Looking Deeply and Seeing Clearly: Personal Truth
– Relationships, values, habits and goals
– Integrating Insights
– Personal Dharma
– Community Support
*Extra: Nowhere to go, Nothing to do/Retreat package and resources